Cinco De Mayo ~ Surrealconfection

SPAM

Friday, May 4, 2012

Cinco De Mayo

Let me begin by saying - May The Forth Be With You. 


Now that that is over! Happy Cinco De Mayo! (Tomorrow that is, lol.) Now, what is this in the video above? Simple! A Maraca Cookie! Not the cleanest work but it was late and I wanted to get done fast since I had completed a lot of other cookies.

Rather simple to make actually. You just need 3 cookie cut out in the same shape, one of those hollowed out and one of those on a cookie stick. Bake, cool, cement together with royal icing as you stack them and fill with mini M&M's! Pretty cool!

Picture Guide For Maraca Cookies
Well, that was just the quick complete. I did that while I was waiting on some other cookies to dry. Now, these I wouldn't exactly call Cinco De Mayo cookies but more of a South Western Style. What is awesome about these is that they are a flavor variation on another cookie.

Lila Loa makes probably the best vanilla sugar cookie on the planet, I just adore her cookie. Not only does it taste great but it holds its shape better than any other I have tried and trust me, I have tried a lot of them. Add even more goodness and they are the perfect base for variations! So what do I do? Come up with my own!

Yuppers, here is a quick take on her cookie recipe that you can find here - Vanilla Sugar Cookie

Just take her recipe and follow it. Omit the orange/almond and add in the following:
1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon to the dry ingredients
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon Extract
1 Teaspoon Butter Flavorings

What does this give you? Churro cookies!!! That's right, a rich buttery cinnamon sugar cookie that is just perfect for the holiday!

Churro Flavored South Western Themed Cookie
And finally, my favorite part of all of this. My Nacho Supreme Cookies!!!! OMG these were too fun to make!!!
Nacho Supreme Cookies
These were super easy and so fun! All you do it cut out sugar cookies in the shapes of triangles, place them on a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment and has dowel rods under the parchment. This will allow the cookies to bend as they cook and give you that nacho chip look.

Nacho Chip Cookies
 After that it is just all about the garnish!

Lettuce & Cheese: Colored Flake Coconut
Ground Beef: Crushed Cookies
Tomatoes: Starburst Jelly Beans


And don't forget the "Frosting" Sour Cream, lol. All there is too it!

And there you have it!!

Our Cookie De Mayo!!!!