Surprising Finds ~ Surrealconfection

SPAM

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Surprising Finds

Coca Cola Glass
Whether they are big time business like Hallmark or your local Goodwill, you would be amazed what you can find in them! And then there are the local shops owned by your own neighbors - Craft stores and consignment shops. Where ever you look you are sure to find something amazing in them and at a price that is just as amazing.

Cupcake Dish
The combination of starting a new business and the hubby between gigs makes things tight around here. Having three kids makes them suffocating at times. lol But you have to keep trudging on and astonishingly it really brings out your creativeness as well as your resourcefulness. (Like this old card box I got in clearance at Hallmark I am using as packaging for cookies!)

Snow Flake Potter
There is just something about a woman, and some men, to get that steal of a deal. When you combine it with an amazing idea that pops into your head it makes it even better. Now, couple that with knowing you just helped a local friend and/or family with their own business and it is really a triple play of awesomeness in the sport of shopping.

Now A Cookie Stand
I know, what does this have to do with cookies? Well everything. I need packaging, I need displays for cookies and cakes and cupcakes. With wallet that has more mothballs in it than money all the above comes into play.

Now, I usually will stroll down to the local Hallmark from time to time and see what I can find on their clearance racks. I tend to find just the cutest little plates there. As a matter of fact I found my favorite dish there. ^_^ Isn't it cute!!!!


Beautiful Mini Dishes
Then basically right next to it is the Art Garden Pottery shop, owned by the sweetest woman Laura Mayer. Now, they don't have a lot of dishes as it were but sometimes you will find something that will just make you go, "hey! I can use that for this!" Like this snowflake as a cookie display. ^_^ (Also, she does classes and I hope to be in there this summer being taught how to make a sign for Surreal Confections! Wouldn't that be neat?)

Cake Stands
Now, down a couple more doors is this shop - Red Door. You peak in through the glass and see so many older things. Anything from when our parents were growing up to pre 1900's and all of it just amazing. Many would skip right over figuring with the age of the products comes a high price tag. Well you would be wrong.

Red Door carries everything from vintage to new and all at beyond reasonable prices. (When was the last time you picked up an entire China Dinner setting for under $175? They have one right now and if I didn't already have my Noritake, which the hubby bought there, I would so pick this one up as well!)

China Tea Cup
And finally there is my favorite place to find stuff in town...Goodwill!!!! OMG!!!! I just adore our local shop. The girls up there are very sweet, all the money you spend there goes to a good cause and you would be amazed by what all you can find there if you look.

China Tea Cup
I have found everything from packaging to old collectible VHS Disney tapes in the original hard cover packaging. What I really love to look for is dishes for display there. I find so much and what surprises me is all the tea cups I find. Just stunning china tea cups with gold trim, platters, crystal platters and more.

For once I love pink!
And funny, these are not rare finds. I find something there every week that just makes me go "YAY!!!" I love it. I love shopping local and adore everything you can find. So, keep your eyes out and always try to look at something in a new light. You never know what you could find and even more so who you are helping with each tiny purchase. It all adds up. And what better than to help build up another persons dream while you are creating your own. ^_~
Too cute! Had to get!

If you are in the Moses Lake are, please stop by the following stores and see what gems they have to offer! Tell them Jenn of Surreal Confections sent ya!

ArtGarden Pottery - 104 West Third, Moses Lake
Red Door - 116 West Third, Moses Lake