Strawberry Shortcake ~ Surrealconfection

SPAM

Friday, November 11, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake

Before I even begin this post there is something I want to say...

Happy Veterans Day!

^_^ Just had to put it in there even though I have been blasting it all over Facebook today, made the family actually shut up for 2 minutes for a moment of silence (that is a feat in a home with a toddler) and been posting over and over again videos and images to all the veterans. ^^ What can I say I have a soft spot for all those that have served, do serve and will serve. 

But I know you are not here for that, you are here for sweets! And boy do I have some today! Some strawberry sweet treats! And inspired by the Miss Strawberry Shortcake herself! 
You see I grew up on Strawberry and all her friends. I loved it! It was the only thing pink that I could stomach as a girl growing up. Well, here we are decades later and Strawberry is back once again! The Hub has new episodes of Strawberry that are on every morning in this home. Both myself and my daughter love her. 

So, here we are with a plethora (I love that word) of little treats. Now, they all are a Chocolate Strawberry Sugar Cookie with a slightly tart lemon royal icing. Even some of these cookies have a wonderful strawberry cream cheese frosting in the center.  
Granted, after finishing these up, all I could think of was that I really need some better tips. I just couldn't get the control I wanted with the dots on all of these that I wanted. 

         Oh well, practice does make perfect and it just means that I need to practice some more. (Though I don't think I am doing too bad for only have been doing this for what? Like 6 weeks?) 

Anywho, as you can tell I branched out of the normal circles and did some other shapes and designs. But as you can also see I did still do some royal icing transfers. I love them. Okay, gonna move on from ramble to purpose. Promised to share the recipe for the cookies when I posted...So here it is!

  • 2.5 Cups Unsalted Butter
  • 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
  • 3 Tablespoon Strawberry Extract
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt
  • 3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
  • 4.5 Cup All Purpose Flour
Gently cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and strawberry extract. Sift together the salt cocoa powder and flour. Fold dry and wet ingredients until they come together. Roll out, refrigerate until still, cut out designs. Bake in an oven preheated to 375 F for 8-11 minutes. (Large circles 11, small 8). Allow to cool fully, decorate and enjoy!


I know, wasn't exactly the best instructions but you get the point, lol. If you have any questions just ask!