Super Mario Brothers ~ Surrealconfection

SPAM

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Super Mario Brothers

Another day, another cookie. Sadly the pictures for these really turned out like crap but gonna post them any way. Anyone that wants to donate a better camera for macro photography will forever be on my - You Rule - list. ^^ LOL Anywho, back to the topic at hand.

It's a me! Mario! 

That's right my 8 Bit fiends! We have another in the 8 bit cookie series. This time the main man himself, Mario is making the grand entrance. Along with him comes his entourage Luigi, Peach and others.

We also have Bowser and some other creatures that seem to always like getting in the way. Better watch out because the Princess is in this castle but that just means she is going to die like the rest of them.

Hey, they're cookies! They live the sweet life well! :P

I also have a bit of a nice treat for you! A cookie recipe! That's right! Yummy yummy cookies that you can make at home with you and yours. Now, the base sugar cookie recipe for these cookies is not mine. I got it from a goddess in the cookie world, Marian from Sweetopia!

Seriously, you should read her, she is wonderful. I took her base Sugar Cookie recipe, some tricks for keeping the dough from spreading and added my own personal twist. And what did we get for all this? Only the most divine Chocolate Sugar Cookies I have ever had. ^_^ Granted I am biased but hey, my blog! LOL :P

Anywho, here you go!


  • 2.5 Cups Unsalted Butter, room temp
  • 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
  • 2 Large Egg
  • 2.5 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • .5 Teaspoon Almond Extract
  • 4.75 Cup All Purpose Flour
  • .5 Cup Cocoa Powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt
  1. In a bowl sift together the flour, salt and cocoa powder. Set aside.
  2. In a mixing bowl combine the butter and sugar on slow speed until just creamed. 
  3. Add in the eggs and extracts.
  4. Mix until just combined.
  5. Fold in the flour mixture until everything comes together. Be careful not to over mix the dough or get too much air into it. You don't want these to rise or lose shape.
  6. Take the dough and roll it out between 2 pieces of parchment paper until .75-1 cm thick. I use dowel rods on each side to rest my rolling pin on. This gives me the perfect equal thickness for each cookie. 
  7. Place the rolled out dough into your refrigerator for 3 hours. 
  8. Remove and cut out shapes. Arrange on cookie sheet 1-2 inches apart. Return to refrigerator for another hour. 
  9. Repeat steps 6-8 till all the scraps are used up and chilling.
  10. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Make sure oven is to temp before baking.
  11. Remove each cookie sheet from the refrigerator 1 at a time and bake for 12 minutes. 
  12. Remove from oven. Allow to cool for 2 minutes before placing on wire rack to cool fully.
  13. Decorate!
  14. Serve and Enjoy!

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my kiddos are right now!