St. Patricks Rainbow Cupcakes ~ Surrealconfection

SPAM

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

St. Patricks Rainbow Cupcakes


Top of the morning to you! (Yeah, okay done with that.) It is late and I am tired. I promised that I would do a quickie for my St. Patricks Day Cupcakes and here I am. ^_^

I made these last year and they were a huge hit. These are super simple cupcakes that anyone can honestly do no matter where you are or what you have. Whether you are a beginner or a pro, these are sure to please anyone this St. Patricks Day.

I normally go with a simple Chocolate Cupcake Recipe and then do a mint flavored buttercream in favor for the holiday but feel free to change up what you do. The ones I did this year are just simple plain vanilla cupcakes, some chocolate, and all have a buttercream icing.

Now, before we start I want you to head over to Glorious Treats and check out these various links. I swear it is the perfect place to get the best cupcake and icing recipe for this. Now I have used each recipe I am posting here for this very lesson and tested them myself. I know they work and give them my Surreal Approval Stamp!

Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
Buttercream Recipe - For white white icing I substitute the butter with crisco, it works well.

While you are at it, read through these two pages to learn some more about cupcakes. It is well worth your time.

How To Bake Cupcakes - I reread this every time I make cupcakes
How to Frost Cupcakes - Good quick lesson on basic frosting techniques if you have tips.


Now onto the tutorial. You will need a few thing.
  • Batch of Cooled Cupcakes
  • 2 Batches of Buttercream - 1 white, 1 green. I recommend making the white first, setting it aside and then making the green. If you aren't careful the color will separate with the green after a bit, so best to make it last. 
  • "Pot O Gold" Candy - Rolos, Reeses Minis, Ferrero Rocher or anything in a gold wrapper
  • Rainbow Chew - Warheads Sour Rainbow Twists, Airheads X-Treme Rainbow Berry Sour or any rainbow like rope candy
  • Green Food coloring - Wilton or Americolor Leaf Green/Mint Green works best for me
  • Grass tip for your icing - or green sprinkles if you don't have one. 









Now for what you to.
  1. Use your grass tip and decorate half the cupcake with the green frosting. 
  2. Decorate the other half with the white, use a basic large round tip. 
  3. Cute your rainbow rope about 4 inches in length and stick one end in the icing. 
  4. Bend it gently and stick the other end on the other side of the cupcake.
  5. Place a Gold Foiled Candy at the end of a rainbow and done.
  6. Marvel how easy, complain to those you give them to how long it took. 





Seriously, that is it. You can do variations with what you have near you. Some with clouds, some without. Some on grass fields, some covered in candy shamrock sprinkles. Small rainbows, big rainbows, double rainbows (OMG WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?!?! LOL) Just enjoy them. Super simple for the kids to help out with. ^_~