Irish Lace Cookies ~ Surrealconfection

SPAM

Monday, March 5, 2012

Irish Lace Cookies


 Saint Patrick's Day is right around the corner and you know what that means? Every drunken stereotype is going to be out in droves, mostly found in bars all over the world. It is a day of friends, frivolousness and frankly drinking. lol Oh how I love the Irish. More so lately since I am married to an Irishman and he is very keen on his families history and heritage. Which in turn made me want to learn more about mine and yeah,...I found out I am Irish. Mostly! Funny how that works out. LOL

That made me want to do a little something more than the usual St. Patties day themed goodies this year. Don't worry, there will be plenty of the typical as well but I do want to start out on a good note. What better way than what is probably the most delicate cookies around - Irish Lace! Yes, you can see right through them!

They are everything Ireland is sans the whiskey and Guinness, yes there is more to Ireland than that! Made from butter, brown sugar and steel cut oats, these cookies take a very basic base and turn it into something delicate, beautiful and packed with such candy like goodness you would think Willy Wonka had made them. I wonder if he was Irish, lol.

Now, this was the first time I had ever made these cookies. I simply found a recipe online and went with it. Granted I did change a couple of things. >.> It's what I do. These came out wonderful and my husband just kept tearing through them!

What I love most about these is that even though you cannot really shape them into much before or while they are cooking you can after. Let them cool for about a minute and you can roll them up, bend them and shape them! I did everything from rolling them up on the end of a wooden spoon to curving them into bowls, pushing them around to make a heart, covering them in chocolate and even bending one into a butterfly!

So let us get started!

Irish Lace Cookies:

  • 1/2 Cup Salted Butter, room temp
  • 3/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
  • 2 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour
  • 2 Tablespoon Milk
  • 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • 1 3/4 Cup Irish Steel Cut Oats - NO INSTANT!
  1. Preheat your oven to 350
  2. Place your cookiesheets in the oven now! 
  3. In a mixing bowl cream your butter and sugar.
  4. Add in everything else minus the oats and mix until well combined.
  5. Fold in the oats.
  6. Grab a teaspoon measuring spoon, fill and level off.
  7. Drop onto a parchment lined HOT cookie sheet. 
  8. Keep doing this until the sheet is full - keep them at least 3 inches apart. They spread a lot. I usually only get 8 on my largest cookie sheets!
  9. Bake 8-11 Minutes. 
  10. Remove from oven but keep on cookie sheet for 1 minute.
  11. Then remove to cooling rack to cool fully. If shaping do this now and quickly!
  12. Be careful! They break easy!
  13. Serve and enjoy! Or wait till they are all the way cool and brush with melted chocolate.